Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 14 - The little things

There are little things that I think of every day, so I thought I’d put them down.

To start – Bazzine, my host sister, last night she ran up to my door and through a picture into the room saying regarde, regarde, which means look look. It was a picture of a previous volunteer and Bazzine. I feel like she’s rubbing it in that her and I have a tenuous relationship. Thanks, but not appreciated. She’s been nicer lately, but she gave me one of those evil looks today when I was leaving… I don’t trust her.

The taxis: You get a honk if they’re behind you, but that’s the only warning. If you don’t get out of the way, then they will hit you.

There are these things called car rapides, which are colorful buses/vans that are completely open to the air, and have no doors on the back. One or two young men hang onto the back of the bus banging on the outside of the vehicle telling the driver when to go or stop. It only costs 100 Francs, which is 20 cents. And it’s always entertaining.

It really is pretty here. I know I’ve talked about the trash before, but I’m getting used to it, and it’s easier to disregard. (I know, bad thing to say.) I think that the neighborhood that I live in is pretty well off. There are a couple of houses that are shanties, but the rest look really nice. Also, I think there is a USAID office literally 30 second away from my house.

Shower saga: I actually thought about not sharing this story with anyway, but then I thought that I should because it’s just the way things are for me right now. Anyway, here it goes. It’s the dry season, and for the last week, there has been a trickle or no water from the faucets. I have plenty of bottled drinking water to drink so I’m fine there, but I didn’t take a shower for 5 days. 6 days is my record. That was in Morocco, and it was after we went to the hamman, so I figured I was REALLY clean, and didn’t really need to shower. Anyway, on Monday, I just couldn’t take it any more, and I was really bothered by how dirty and gross my hair was, so, I took a bucket shower. I poured water over my head, soaped up, and rinsed off, all from a bucket. So, I’m clean. Which makes me very very happy.

Hmm.. that’s all I can think of for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment